[Samba] compiling samba-2.2.3a on free-netbsd finally solved - summary

jan jan at seismo.ifg.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 11 23:28:02 GMT 2002

  dear list,

compiling samba on Free-/Netbsd works fine now.
Thanks to ALL who helped me out !!

Several people told me to delete the -lresolv line (11891) in the
configure script. I did that but configure script was still bleating and
bleating.
Finally I think that it was a linker problem.
On NetBSD I found out that I had neither /etc/ld.so.conf nor ldconfig.
Just creating, editing /etc/ld.so.conf and putting in the right library
search path is fine.
There is indeed no ldconfig on netbsd
(http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html#ldconfig)

Dirty workaround is to use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable in
combination with LDFLAGS & CPPFLAGS / CFLAGS.
Using LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not recommended (man ld.so.conf)
(http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html)

On FreeBSD Volker Lendecke told me to take the /usr/ports ldap-tree and
then to set CFLAGS & LDFLAGS appropriately to compile samba --with-ldapsam.
This meant that I had to set LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib &&
CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
So default-library-linking-search-path there seems to be in
/usr/local/lib ...
Therefore I didn't find out if I really need ldconfig and its config
file or not. But the tip from Volker Lendecke works fine now.
If someone knows how to handle the ldconfig - thing on FreeBSD ...

This certainly works also on Solaris...

now I am a lucky man !

thanks,

Jan