[Samba] Re: installing software on Win2k workstations

Ulrich Kohlhase kohlhase at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 11 22:19:05 GMT 2002

Andreas,

> When normal users try to run the same executable, the process returns
> immediately. No window is opened, no message printed. When
> normal users try
> to install ACDsee themselves, the installation routine
> returns "Internal
> error" and exits.
> Canon Fax Driver for Network Fax: Admin users can install the
> driver and send
> faxes. Normal users can also send faxes, but are unable to
> store entries in
> their address-books. Error message: Failure while trying to write.

You should take a closer look at the normal user / power user issues
regarding Samba. To my knowledge, accounts created on your PDC will
always be mapped to the normal user (german Benutzer) group and hence be
limited when trying to run "bad" programs or even install software
without higher priviledges.
We used regmon.exe, download available at
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml
to find and adjust all the registry keys after setting "ACCDENIED" in
regmon's filter and starting the programs. Be shure to log in as normal
user, open regmon and regedt32 with "runas /user:administrator" from the
shell and change security settings as indicated by regmons monitor.

Good luck,
Uli