[Samba] Samba PDC & Groups & Trust relationships & LDAP

nate samba at aphroland.org
Mon Mar 11 17:32:04 GMT 2002

Hi.

It's been a while since i got into samba again seriously(about 3
years), about a week ago I decided to dive into it again, I have
Samba 2.2.3a up and going with an LDAP backend, communicating
with the LDAP server over TLS. I established a one way trust
relationship with the local NT4-based domain. It works fine, I
can access network resources and stuff.(I intend to replace
the NT4-based domain in a week or so, so I have not
bothered to try to get the trust going the other way)

My question is is there a way to add groups to samba? My
permissions structure is pretty basic, and its group based. I
make a directory READ/WRITABLE by this one group and
then i just put the users in that group. Then if I have to remove
a user I just reomve them from the group instead of from each
individual share.

I have seen in samba TNG docs there is a Unix/Samba Group
mapping function, from what I can see this doesn't appear to
be in the normal samba(can't find any documentation on it).
Is there a way to do this ? I have seen the domain admin
group mapping but not generic group mapping. It doesn't
even have to map, I just would like a couple groups for
ACLs on the NT4 box until i replace it with something
else.

I don't need to manage it via any gui tool, I usually use
ldap explorer in combo with smbpasswd to manage
ldap stuff.

there may be a better way to go about doing this too,
by all means let me know if there is, I don't work with
win32-based network stuff much, so my ideas for how
best to impliment it are limited ..

is it possible ?

thanks!

nate