[Samba] Mailing list etiquette? [mildly off-topic]

Andre Bialojahn andre.bialojahn--samba at exmail.de
Mon Mar 11 11:57:34 GMT 2002

Hi,

>> [...] If I reply to someone, should I send it JUST to the mailing list,
>> JUST to the person i'm helping, or both?  I've been keeping it on
>> the mailing list, but some people may want the help to come into
>> their main mailbox.
>> Should I send to both?
>
>Try always to send a copy of your message to the list - that way
>answers to questions are being archived so other can benefit from
>them. Whether you should send the message to the person who asked, I
>don't know... Anyone?

I guess, since about no one should unsubscribe from the
samba-list immediately after posting the question, it's perfectly
fine to *just* answer to the ML.
"He, who writes here, reads here." - ok, this applies to the Usenet-
groups mainly, but why shouldn't it also be appropriate here?

Replying to *only* the list also reduces the traffic, since the
person who receives the solution only has to download one
mail, instead of two (list and cc or bcc).
On the other hand - who could complain about one mail more
on such a high traffic list? *sigh*

I would propose that one only answers to the list and only
as an exception - f.e. when the person having trouble asks for
it - should add a cc or bcc. This should be noted somewhere in
the body of the mails.

But these are just my 0.02

Regards,
André