[Samba] Hungarian codepage problem using smbmount

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sun Mar 10 21:11:29 GMT 2002

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, [iso-8859-2] László Miklós wrote:

> The most important thing is that there is no difference when using the
> iocharset and codepage options or when there is no such option at all or
> when I used ISO8859-1 and cp850 instead of ISO8859-2 and cp852. Why is
> this? Maybe the codepage files are in a wrong directory on my Linux
> system? Now they can be found under /var/lib/samba/codepages/

You are missing an important thing, the samba codepages are completely
irrelevant. Only a few parts of samba is used when using smbmount.
smbmount is only responsible for connecting to the server, it does not do
any listings or file downloads.

All the string translations for the filenames are done by the smbfs
kernel module, using the kernel nls modules.

In order for it to find the nls module to use the name of the iocharset
and codepage parameters must match the kernel modules (except for the nls_
prefix). There is no kernel nls module named ISO8859-2, but there is one
named nls_iso8859-2, so the correct iocharset name would be iso8859-2.

Same about using codepage 852, the proper name is cp852 because the nls
module is named nls_cp852. The sample values mentioned in the smbmount
manpage follows this.

After mounting use lsmod to verify that the relevant nls modules have been
loaded (or have an increased "used" count if they were already loaded). If
you build your own kernels, make sure you built the nls modules you need.

However, it never gets that far.

Using one of the crontab entries as example:
/usr/bin/smbmount //KRISZ-K7/AKTUALIS /mnt/winmentes1/aktuak -o credentials=/etc/samba/passwd ip=192.168.0.92 iocharset=ISO8859-2 codepage=852

Why do you have space between the -o options? Where did you get the idea
that it would work with space? All the examples I know of show how to
separate options properly using ,

If you have an example of that, let me know so we can correct it.

You could have written goobliglock as your codepage, smbmount stops
reading after your credentials entry because -o only takes one string as
argument.

Unless you have a reason to call smbmount directly it is probably better
to use the "mount -t smbfs" syntax. That will continue to work even if
smbmount is replaced. But that does not affect this problem.

You should try the following, or the smbmount equivalent.

mount -t smbfs -o credentials=/etc/samba/passwd,ip=192.168.0.92,iocharset=iso8859-2,codepage=cp852 //KRISZ-K7/AKTUALIS /mnt/tmp

I also don't know why you have /mnt/winmentes1 in your smb.conf. You don't
need to do that for smbmount/smbfs. But perhaps you are doing something
else there.

Name lookups, logging, workgroup and socket options are used (and probably
some other settings), the rest of smb.conf such as the shares isn't used
by smbmount.

/Urban