[Samba] How to remove and re-add WinXP clients to Samba PDC?

Johnny Lam jlam at jgrind.org
Sat Mar 9 13:39:02 GMT 2002

I have a Samba server acting as a PDC for a single subnet Windows domain.
I'm trying to figure out how to remove a WinXP client from the domain,
and then rejoin the domain with the same name.  This can happen after I nuke
a WinXP installation on a client machine and reinstall WinXP, but wish to
preserve the machine name to ease maintainance.  I believe the correct
sequence of operations is:

	1) Log off the WinXP client (pogo) from the domain.

	2) Remove the "pogo$" entry from the smbpasswd file on the PDC.

	3) Force smbd to reload its config files.

	4) Run "smbpasswd -a -m pogo$" on the PDC.

	5) Reinstall WinXP on the client.

	6) Add the client to the domain by changing the workgroup to
	   refer to the domain.

Is there anything I'm missing, or is there a better way to to this?

	Thanks,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam at jgrind.org>