[Samba] why Samba using /etc/hosts?

Widodo Krisman gobeavs at ekrisman.com
Sat Mar 9 01:07:03 GMT 2002

Hello,

I've had this problem for quite a while.  Using ip from my dhcp addresses from 192.168.1.10-.20, I can't browse or see my samba server.  But using a static ip .1-.9, I can browse to my samba server just fine.  All my static ip addresses have entries in /etc/hosts but not the dynamic ip from dhcp.  I found out that if I add any hostname in my /etc/hosts say for 192.168.1.15, then I can start browsing my samba server again.

So my question is, how come samba is using my /etc/hosts names?  I never had this problem before I upgrade my samba and dhcp.  Below are my configuration:
- Redhat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2.2)
- dhcp-server-3.0rc12-3cra
- samba-2.2.2-20011013

I can send my smb.conf if necessary but I think it's fine since everything is fine (login script, see samba, etc) when I put an entry in my /etc/hosts file.

Please advise

=wk=