[Samba] Problems mounting shares in XP

Marc R. Hoffman emulator at mac.com
Fri Mar 8 22:35:05 GMT 2002

I've noticed a problem when trying mount samba shares within XP
Professional or Home Edition. The dialog box that pops up doesn't give
me the option of entering a username; only a password. It seems to be
trying to log in using a guest account. I don't run into this problem
with Windows 2000 or any of the 9x based Windows OSes. The only way that
I can log into the samba share is to do a "map network drive", and then
"log on as a different user". While this works, it's a bit inconvenient.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be gonig on? Or is this a
Microsoft "feature"? I've run into this when running Samba on Mac OS X
and Red Hat Linux 7.2. I have a screenshot available here:

http://www.kearney.net/~mhoffman/samba_probs/logon_problems.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Marc Hoffman