[Samba] Samba in a Win2000 / NT Enterprise

Chris Sarris Chrissarris at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 8 09:43:04 GMT 2002

Hello,
I am currently integrating 20 workstations and 5 Servers (all Dell Products)
running Red Hat 7.2 (2.4.7-10) into a Windows 2000 / NT Enterprise network
of about 2,000 users.

I have been using a Samba server (version 2.2.1) with "security=domain" so
that any user with a W2K domain logon can access the Samba file server.

However, I want to move into full integration and set up all Logins to
Redhat (wether Gnome or KDE) to authenticate on the W2K corporate domain and
recieve back a security access tolken so that I can have a unified logon
point and then access shares or printer on any W2K computer in the domain
that I have rights to access.

I have considered the Pam_smb module but it only seems to query the W2K
corporate domain for a successful username / password logon. However, that
means anyone of the 2,000 members in our Corporate Domain could log on to
our boxes instead of the group of 20 that I want to give access to. But
inaddition to that... I don't think that the Pam_smb passes back *any* kind
of security or access tolken so that I can access other domain shares.

I think Winbind is my answer, but it seems like it has not been released in
a stable manner yet.

What do you suggest?
thanks for your help,
Chris