[Samba] File server migration ( win2k to samba on redhat 7.2 )

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Mar 8 03:58:04 GMT 2002

"Sreedharan, Anil" wrote:

> Hello People,
>
> We are in the process of migrating our file server from a win2k box to a red
> hat box running samba 2.2.3a. We have winbind running on the redhat box and
> it has joined the windows domain and "genent" shows all the domain users.We
> know have to move the files from the win2k box to linux box and maintain the
> file ownership info. It would be great if anyone can point me to resources
> that might help us .

You might want to look into doing a 'move' or an 'xcopy /o' from the
existing server to the new one, while sitting at the old Win2k server.
This will preserve the ownership stuff (I hope), givin a suitable
filesystem.  (You need a patched kernel of one kind or another).  I
think there were some bugs in Samba in this area, you may wish to use
current 2.2 CVS if issues arise.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org