[Samba] samba won't give up root

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Mar 8 02:39:02 GMT 2002

David Carlson wrote:

> Hi, I'm using the latest version of Samba in (kind-of) an embedded
> environment, which means 'glibc, but no shadow/pam/md5'
>
> my problem is is that samba doesn't give up root priviledges.  I connect as
> an unpriviliged user, but the smbd associated with the connection is still
> associated with root.  Has anyone had this problem? It's very undesirable,
> as all the access controls are pretty much useless.

Can you show the file access occuring as root?  Samba now idles as root,
rather than as the last connected user.  The SMB protocol allows any
number of users to connect on one TCP/IP socket (and therefore one
smbd), and we often have to do things as root.  As a performance measure
we therefore idle as root.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org