[Samba] codepages and character sets

Sylvestre Taburet staburet at mandrakesoft.com
Fri Mar 8 01:53:04 GMT 2002

Le Vendredi 8 Mars 2002 10:07, Thomas Robinson a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know anything at all about codepages and characters sets? I
> really need some help but no one seems interested in my post.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom
>
> Thomas Robinson
> Ehbas Ltd
> T: 01273 234 665
> F: 01273 704 499

Basically: allowing file naming coherence between linux & windows. For
instance, in french, you may use special characters, like "é", "à"... in your
file names. If you don't set the proper code page & character set, you'll end
up with windows names looking like xxéèàxx.txt, and the corresponding linux
file on the samba server looking like xx???xx.txt or even xxxx.txt.