[Samba] samba won't give up root

David Carlson carl1012 at umn.edu
Thu Mar 7 23:49:02 GMT 2002

Hi, I'm using the latest version of Samba in (kind-of) an embedded
environment, which means 'glibc, but no shadow/pam/md5'

my problem is is that samba doesn't give up root priviledges.  I connect as
an unpriviliged user, but the smbd associated with the connection is still
associated with root.  Has anyone had this problem? It's very undesirable,
as all the access controls are pretty much useless.

I have gone over the logs with debuglevel == 100, but smbd claims it gives
up privilidges.

Thanks!
-dave