[Samba] Winbind & Pam Question

Matt Pavlovich mpav at algx.net
Thu Mar 7 13:12:05 GMT 2002

I am a bit confused over the behavior of pam and winbind, and having
Samba use pam.

If I configure my nsswitch.conf:
passwd:     files winbind
group:      files winbind

And my auth section of /etc/pam.d/samba looks something along the lines:
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_first_pass shadow
nullok

If I want to have a "static" account that winbind won't clobber (For use
with 'force user= $staticuser' 'force security mode' on a share), does
the nsswitch setting of files before winbind take care of that, or
having the pam_winbind line before the pam_pwdb cause winbind to clobber
any existing accounts?

Matt Pavlovich