[Samba] TR: Authenticating to an NT PDC (other questions : refer to previous post)

Thierry DELHAISE thierry.delhaise at free.fr
Thu Mar 7 07:58:10 GMT 2002

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Thierry DELHAISE [mailto:thierry.delhaise at free.fr]
Envoyé : jeudi 7 mars 2002 10:57
À : Samba-Admin
Objet : Authenticating to an NT PDC (other questions : refer to previous
post)

Hi all,

I re-post behind the previous post of James Davis as I'm surprise about the
respons from Andrew.

Is synchronizing users and password on a samba "Authentification server"
(member of the NT Domain) from a Windows NT PDC possible ? Andrew says
"Yes". No doubt he is right, but I'm very confused because I don't know how.

I'm dealing with doc of samba and binaries samba 2.2.3 and 3 alpha 15 since
two weeks to provide a solution to one of our client. This client decide to
install new WAN site with Samba (any version) running on top of Linux. He
want those Linux Box being fonctionnaly BDC for the site it is install on(
Being able to authenticate users on Linux Samba when the WAN connection is
down, not changing password of users account). But the allready install
sites are in Windows NT 4 Sp6 and Samba will have to work with this since we
migrate all sites to reach a full pure Samba Network.

My test network is a Windows NT 4 PDC SP5, with some accounts and working
fine for all client/workstation. I introduce a Samba 2.2.x (and after I
replace it with Samba 3.0 alpha 15) and I try to obtain from the PDC the
synchronisation of users/password account on it. I didn't enable Winbind
because, AFAIK and AFAIR in doc winbind only provide a way for SMB
Administrator to obtain a Unix account equivalent to the SMB account, in a
way you want clients could 'telneting' your Samba's box with the same
account and password.

I'm allready with "security = domain" in my "smb.conf"

Where I'm wrong ?

If the respons is too long, may be someone could point me on other docs,
HOWTO .

Thanks in advance.

Thierry