[Samba] Mail Problems...

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Thu Mar 7 00:20:06 GMT 2002

> sorry, i can't help you with your answer but i need to ask you some newbie questions. Is Winbind used for authenticating between Windows client and the Linux server? i am not using it to authenticate sendmail and my clients are all Outlook express. Is there a need to install Winbind? I need to
understand what Winbind is used ofr before i decide. Thanks

winbind is use a an additional authentication source for unix/linux.
To understand it, start with /etc/nsswitch.conf and compare the new
winbind possibility with the well knowen possibility nis; look at
passwd and group in /etc/nsswitch.conf. Then look at pam to
understand that different unix services (login, pop3, ssh, samba) can
have a different authentisication.

In short:
winbind is needed if your user base is on an NT PDC and you want to
authenticate unix services against it. If you only want samba to deal
with a NT PDC (for example a pure file server with no direct user
access) set "security = domain" in smb.conf, set up a "add user
script" in smb.conf and claer up old, no longer used accounts by hand
form time to time.

Christian

> Dan

FYI, I use Outlook Express 6, but everyone at my office use it also... So, I don't think the problem is related to email clients... Sometimes, is so slow to download email, that Outlook (not the Express one) just give up...

>   Second, on /var/spool/mail all the mailboxes have different owners from the real ones... Except for a couple of accounts (mine included, but also people whose clients are very slow to download and send email) all these files have different owners from the real ones...
>
>   Have you ever seen this problems???
>
>   Thanx for your help...
>   ---------------------------------------
>   Julio Rojas
>   Coordinador de Redes
>   Universidad Fermín Toro
>   Barquisimeto, Venezuela

               _(_)_                          wWWWw   _