[Samba] Problems using Samba as a PDC

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Thu Mar 7 00:12:05 GMT 2002

Bobby Mitchell wrote:

> I'm trying to use Samba 2.2.3a on RedHat 7.2 for a PDC and can't get
> Win2k to even acknowledge that the domain exists. I am attaching my
> smb.conf. the error message is: "The specified domain either does not
> exist or could not be contacted"

been there, done that, ethersniffed it.
the problem is NOT samba.
win2k seems to try to speak something vaguely resembling HTTP on port 80
to some weird multicast address in order to find a PDC. Now I really
would like to have

1. a real Win2K PDC to nmap to see if it listens on that address
2. the dolt at m$ who invented that bullsh** just to annoy the living
shit out of anyone who wants to use samba.
3. a cross, some long spikes, thorns.

bye,
	MH