[Samba] Linking login and SAMBA on a PDC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed Mar 6 20:54:12 GMT 2002

Many Darin - dmany wrote:

> I think this is primarily a PAM question, but here goes...
>
> I've had success in setting up my Linux box as a PDC.  I've also had success
> in setting up the Linux box to use another PDC for password authentication
> (SMB, FTP, login, ssh, etc).  But I can't seem to get both to coexist.  I
> would like my Linux box to serve as the PDC and have all password
> authentication pass through SMB.  Is this possible?

Using HEAD, I run pam_winbind (and therefore winbind) on my DC, which
achives the desired effect (setting 'winbind use default domain = yes'
in smb.conf and not using nss_winbind).  You could also (and it would
probably also make much more sense) use pam_smbpass to read the passdb
directly.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org