[Samba] Samba as Client for Samba-Domain

Stephan M. Ott sambalist at okdesign.de
Wed Mar 6 15:23:15 GMT 2002

Hi folks,

in my system I have a Samba running as a PDC for W2k-Cleints. Everything
work fine (okay, there seem to be problem when the profiles are too large.
The clients cannot access their profiles when logging in nor save their
profiles when logging off when the profile is bigger than 4 Megs. Is this
problem known and is there a way to fix it ?)
But now I have another samba-system which should act as only file-sharing
server and thsi one should be am member of the domain and should verify the
user-data from the samba-PDC. I'm quite sure I entered the correct data in
smb.conf, but it won't work :-(
I cannot acces shares on this server though they are open for public. Samba
always asks for login, and the only login it accepts is when entering no
username and no password at all (leaving the filed blank). Normally it
should verify the user at the PDC, and as this user has authenticated itself
at the PDC at login, this should normaally work. I tried out with publically
accessible shares, with private shared only accessable for a specific user,
shares accessible for multiple specified users and for all users beinf
memeber of the domain. When trying to access the share there is traffic on
the net (my hub indicates that), but the share(s) cannot be accessed
(incorrect username and/or password is the error.nesg from the W2k-client).
Algorithm or something else cannot be the problem because the client can
authenticate itself at the PDC and get their profiles.
I have no idea what could be wrong.
Any ideas ?

thx
Stephan