[Samba] printing with lprng

Justin Wood justin at justinwood.com
Wed Mar 6 15:09:08 GMT 2002

I recently set up samba-2.2.3a on FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE.  I'm having
troubles getting printing to work.  I have LPRng-3.76 installed, and it
works just fine using the command line tools.  When I print from a
windows client over smb, however, I can see the job go into the spool
directory, but then it magically vanishes, with nothing in any log
files.  Has anyone experienced this type of strange behavior?

I'll include some relevant lines from smb.conf below.  Thanks in
advance for any help.

-Justin.

---smb.conf---
   load printers = yes
   printcap name = /usr/local/etc/printcap
   printing = lprng
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   print command = /usr/local/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
   lpq command = /usr/local/bin/lpq -P%p
   lprm command = /usr/local/bin/lprm -P%p %j
   lppause command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc hold %p %j
   lpresume command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc release %p %j
   queuepause command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc -P%p stop
   queueresume command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc -P%p start
   use client driver = yes