[Samba] Solved my Win2K client problem

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson at unboundtech.com
Wed Mar 6 10:30:04 GMT 2002

I was having the popular problem of not being able to log in to my domain
from a Win2K box (not sure the sp level) after having the machine
successfully. The domain is served from an up-to-date RedHat 7.2 box running
Samba 2.2.1a. I checked the signorseal registry settings, they were all fine
(I think, I never found the documentation for that but was able to tell from
other posts that certain values should be set to zero, and they were).
Someone suggested that machine accounts needed to have UIDs in the 100
range, I tried that but it didn't help. I'm not sure what implications there
are to using UIDs in the 100 range, so I changed them back. I tried (from
properties of Local Area Network Connection -> Advanced ->WINS tab) enabling
NetBIOS over TCP/IP, no help. So I put it back to use NetBIOS setting from
DHCP server.

In the end, I noticed in my log file for that machine, that I have 'restrict
anonymous = yes' in my smb.conf file, so the authentication request was
failing. I changed my smb.conf to 'restrict anonymous = no' and restarted
smbd and nmbd. No I can log into the domain via the Win2K box. I'll have to
apply updates and service patches and see if it still works after that.

So in the end I had unrestrict anonymous. Anybody have suggestion as to why
this was necessary or what the implications are? I'm not currently
subscribed soa CC on the response would be appreciated, but I can always
wait for it to be archived on the web, since it's working.

I hope this helps other people.