[Samba] New samba not responding properly

Bill House wchouse at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 6 10:12:05 GMT 2002

Hello,

I have been running Samba without problems for several years
now.  Recently I added another machine to our network and
installed RH 7.2 and the Samba that came with the distributon ( v
2.2.1a).

Using my past experience, I configured the machine.  Using a
W95 client, I can see the server but I cannot access the shares on it.

I began the diagnosis procedure on your web site and would like to pass
on a few differences between the instructions given and the reponses I
got from my new machine.

Step two:  entering the command results in the server asking for a
password as in test 7.

My setup failed at test 8.  When running

"net view \\BIGSERVER"

I received the following error message:

Error 59: An unexpected error has occured.  Quit all running
programs, restart your computer, and then try again.  If the problem
persists, contact your network administrator.

I tried entering another wins server in the advanced TCP/IP section but
that did not solve the problem.

I have another machine (RH 7.1) running on the same network without a
problem.  I also have a commercial version of Samba running on the
network (Facetwin).

On the problem machine, I have noticed that no user log files are being
created when I attempt to browse the shares as they are on the other
machines.

Can you give me any help?

Bill House
wchouse at bellsouth.net