[Samba] File attributes question - offline files

Damir Dezeljin programing at nib.si
Wed Mar 6 09:01:08 GMT 2002

Dear gentelmans,

I'm working on a program which copy big files to our backup medias.
When the copy is created sucesfully it truncate the file (make a sparse
file - length 0). << this works fine.

My problem description:
When some user go to samba share which contains those big .exe sparse
files with Windows Explorer, Windows Explorer try to read the icon of the
file - and then fails. I noticed that on Win2000 and newer I can set an
"offline" file attribute with a program writen in MS VC ('O' character in
Windows Explorer details view under Attributes - is there a way to mark
a file as "offline", so that windows client accesing samba share would see
that the file is offline and will not try to read the icon data?

Regards,
Dezo