[Samba] smbd daemon uses all filedescriptors

c.m.e.reniers at philips.com c.m.e.reniers at philips.com
Wed Mar 6 05:17:02 GMT 2002

We are running samba on a number of HP systems running HP/UX 11.00.
We moved from samba version 2.0.7. to samba version 2.2.3a.
We have about 200-400 smbd's running on one host.

Samba version 2.2.3a was running without any problems for about two weeks.
But now on two different servers indepent of each other, the file table
was full.
We found out that ONE smbd used about 5000 !! filedescripters to the same
MS word file. We didn't had these problems with samba version 2.0.7.
We want to install samba version 2.2.3a on other HP servers used by 2000
people.

Has anybode seen this problem before (on HP/UX ?? ) ??
For us this is a serious problem.
Please advise/help.

Regards,

Eddy Reniers,
Philips Research Laboratories
Department Computer Services,  Building WAY3 98- postbox WAY31
Prof.Holstlaan 4, 5656 AA Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Phone : +31-40-27-44318

Email  : c.m.e.reniers at philips.com