[Samba] Samba configuration via DHCP

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Wed Mar 6 02:30:06 GMT 2002

Martin Zielinski wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I want to set the "wins server" and "workgroup" parameter via dhcp.
> Does anyone know about a client or workaround that supports it
> (auto-edit the smb.conf or so)?
> Maybe there is a solution available, that I have overlooked.

clarify.

where do you want to set this dynamically? on unix machines or windoze
machines?

if unix: depends on dhcp client daemon. the one that is used on suse 7.3
for example writes EVERYTHING it gets from the dhcp server into a status
file (/var/lib/dhcpcd/%{device}.info or the like.). the rest is some
grep,awk,sed action in the samba rc script.
if windowze: man 5 dhcpd.conf :)

bye,
	MH