[Samba] Win2000 - Very Slow opening files from Samba Share

Tony McArthur tmcarthur at optushome.com.au
Wed Mar 6 00:11:06 GMT 2002

Hello,

I hope you can be of some assistance.

I am using Samba 2.2.0 on SCO Open Server 5.0.5.
I have a number of various clients on the Network eg Win 98 and Win 2000.

My Unix Server is a PIII 1000, dual CPU computer with dual Raid 1 (mirroring
disks)

Samba is working well from the Win 98 Machines.

However, from the Win 2000 machines when I try to open an Excel file from
one of the Shared Samba drives for example it takes about 2 minutes to open.
The same file only takes a couple of seconds to open from the local C drive.

Are there some settings I need to set in the SMB.CONF file to cope with the
mirroring.

I hope someone out there can help.

Tony McArthur