[Samba] Initial connection after reboot is sluggish

Dean Richardson richardson at wsg.net
Tue Mar 5 15:07:03 GMT 2002

We have an SCO server running samba with the config file below. It is in
the domain and users connect to shares on it without any issues. The SCO
server is rebooted nightly. The problem is that we have a box that has a
mapped drive connection which automatically deposits attachment files to
the rmomin share from Outlook (using CaSaveAtt) and it fails on placing its
first attachment to the samba drive. What seems to happen is that this
first file wakes up the os and reestablishes the samba connection and all
subsequent file deposits happen without incident, until the next evenings
reboot. What is confusing is that this worked for many many months and then
recently we upgraded to 2.2.3a and did not keep track of the changes we
made to the smb.conf file so we dont know what we did to change it's
behavior. There are no messages in the logs about a connection failure or
even an event.

Any ideas?

[global]
         netbios name = UNIX1