[Samba] WinXP. Ugh. + windows 2000 and higher with WINS

Blanchard, Michael MBlanchard at grandaire.com
Tue Mar 5 10:35:11 GMT 2002

I can actually answer this one.  Windows 2000 and higher NO LONGER USES
WINS.  While 2000 server does still include a WINS server component,
2000 clients no longer (mostly) use them.  They now use the active
directory DNS for all resolution instead of WINS.  I'm a bit out of my
element, but I've had my WINS get hosed before, and I never knew until
somebody with win98 called and said they couldn't get to any servers.
What I've been doing is making a record in the DNS for that server, and
everything seems to work ok, but I have to manually make a record for
each one.  I think setting a WINS record in the win2k DNS server will
help, but microsoft's knowledge base is down right now so I can't check.