[Samba] WindowsXP Home and Samba 2.2.3a connection problems

Apolinaras 'Apollo' Sinkevicius apollo at carmelentertainment.com
Tue Mar 5 09:41:04 GMT 2002

>My server is running RedHat 7.2 with all the latest patches, Samba is
>>also latest 2.2.3a with domain masters set as "yes" and passwords NOT set
>>as encrypt, because when I do turn it on, none of the Win98 boxes can log
>>on (even when I tried to create non-blank password account). All Win98
>>boxes login flawlesly, since all of them use blank passwords/no passwords
>>(for now), but now I got 1 XP Home edition box and I am really not
>>willing to go and change things on lots of boxes just for this computer.
>
>Are you trying log into the Samba box as a domain, and run a logon batch
>file, or are you just mapping drives? That?s kind of an important
>distinction...

You are right. I am just trying to MAP the drives.

>Perhaps your Win98 boxes need the regsitry changed to allow ENcrypted
>passwords.

Can it be done without them using encrypted passwords?

>XP Home edition CANNOT log into a domain (I think), but it *can* map the
>drives from the server... just click the box to reconnect them at reboot.
>You will be unable to ?log into? the server, and you lose the power of the
>logon batch file, but your user *will* be able to acces server resources.

All I need is mapped drives. I can't get too elaborate here, since IT is
only a very small part of my job and office is small too so no extra people
for this work can be afforded.

>>Here is what I tried:
>>I did apply the "signandseal" patch for XP that comes with Samba. I tried
>>to log-in. Nothing... I tried to turn on the encrypted passwrods on samba
>>and import the user/password data with smbpasswd program. No luck, even
>>if I enter the right username and password, it keeps on poping back-up
>>asking for username/password info. Any ideas?
>
>How did you ?import? the user password data?  Previous mentions of tools
>to do this always indicated that the users are then disabled in smbpasswd,
>and you have to manually go in and change their passwords (because the
>Unix & NT LanMan password hasing algorithms are different, the import
>cannot bring in the password).
I just took RH7.2 passwords and imported them into smbpasswd the way manual
tells you to for encryption of passwords. I only did it to try to have
Win98 box work at the same time as XP does. I have turned off encrypted
passes since.

>*WHY* use UNencrypted passwords anyway?  What could possibly be the
>benefit?  Of course, using no password/blank password makes me wonder why
>the 98 boxes would be unable to access it after changing to encrypted
>passwords.
Why? I just want to leave my Win98 boxes at status quo, the way they were
set up before, I realy don't have time to redo 10 boxes.

Thanx John. Hope I can find a solution. If I can't, bye bye WinXP.

Apollo