[Samba] PDC, NIS and password sync.

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Tue Mar 5 02:41:05 GMT 2002

>From: "Lasse Taul Bjerre" <lasse at bjerre.cx>
>To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
>Subject: [Samba] PDC, NIS and password sync.
>Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 21:00:49 +0100
>

>Hi.
>
>I have for a while been trying to get my samba 2.2.1a PDC to be a NIS master
>and still maintain the password sync feature, without any luck.
>Now I made something that seems to work - but I would like to get your input
>to see if what I do is ok or it is something I should'nt do.
>
>1: Samba uses passwd to sync the password (not yppasswd)
>
>2: cron runs make in /var/yp every 15 minutes to update the NIS maps.

This is probably fine.

You need to make sure that you add and delete accounts from the smbpasswd
file at the same time as you add and delete users for the passwd file
itself.

And obviously there'll be a slight lag in the NIS password being
changed.

And finally, what are you doing about users who change their password
from a UNIX prompt?

Suggestions:-

Write a (2 line) script to use as the 'passwd program' that looks (sort
of) like this:-

	passwd "$1"
	/var/yp/ymake passwd

this means that rather than having to run 'ypmake' every 15 minutes,
it's run as soon as the user changes their password and rebuilds only
the passwd maps.

If you do this, make sure you edit the 'chat' script to include any
output of 'ypmake' (or redirect it's output to /dev/null in the script)

Apart from these, it should all be OKay.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)