[Samba] PDC, NIS and password sync.

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Tue Mar 5 00:47:04 GMT 2002

"Homann, Mathias" wrote:

> AFAIK that approach is *almost* the same that yppasswdd takes; when you
> change the password with yppasswd, yppasswdd modifies the source you
> built the databases on the NIS server from, then runs make. So I don't
> think that could give you trouble *EXCEPT* in the time between changing
> the password and cron running make.

OTOH,

as I'm going to have to look into the very same topic soon, let's build
something better.
consisting of:
- a wrapper script/program which wraps nicely around passwd, so that it
sets the new passwd _AND_ touches a flag file in /tmp or wherelse

- a cron job which runs not every 15 minutes but every minute, but
checks with [ -f /tmp/passwdchanged ] if the flagfile exists before
running make in /var/yp

OR:
- change yppasswd so that it does NOT require a root password for
chaning other users passwords, then have samba call yppasswd instead of
passwd.

You're in?

	MH