[Samba] Connection problems (Samba & W2K)

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Tue Mar 5 00:37:04 GMT 2002

Kestutis Saldziunas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using Samba 2.2.3a on SuSE 7.2 with kernel 2.4.4.Usually client machine
> have W95/98/W2K OS. I have already seven Samba server instalations on the
> company's branches  and it works fine ! However my testing machine with
> identical instalation started rejecting connections from W2K. On W2K, when
> I logging (not as domain user) recieve message " \\fs_vilnius is not
> accesible. The remote procedure call failed and did not execute". In Samba
> log I found:
>
> [2002/02/26 09:03:40, 0] smbd/oplock.c:request_oplock_break(981)
> request_oplock_break: no response received to oplock break request to pid
> 1249
>
> [2002/02/26 09:07:24, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
>  read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer
>
> Samba is configured as PDC (smb.conf is included), SuSE network works fine,
> as I use ftp and other services without problems.
>
> I have this clue for week I can not find solutions. Please advice if any had
> similar problem :)

several small points:
1. actual SuSE kernel is 2.4.16, grab it from any suse mirror (find a
list on www.suse.de/com)
2. on the very same mirror you'll find a 'people' subtree. in there,
directory lmuelle. in there, rpm packages of current samba for almost
any suse distribution.

I suggest that you grab these first.

btw, can your win2K logon to the domain? if so HTH did you do that? my
win2k here tries to open the samba server ON BLOODY PORT 80 WITH SOME
STUPID COMMANDS which where never defined in any version of the HTTP
protocol (and so confuse my apache) to find it's PDC, and then clain
'domain unavailable'... Strangely the domain was still there when I told
the friggin w2k to join it.

deduction: the fact that microsoft 'threatens' to take WinXP and W2K off
the market is not really very much threathening right now...

bye,
	MH

ps. yes I DO know that this is not a.s.r.