[Samba] PDC, NIS and password sync.

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Tue Mar 5 00:30:06 GMT 2002

Lasse Taul Bjerre wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have for a while been trying to get my samba 2.2.1a PDC to be a NIS master
> and still maintain the password sync feature, without any luck.
> Now I made something that seems to work - but I would like to get your input
> to see if what I do is ok or it is something I should'nt do.
>
> 1: Samba uses passwd to sync the password (not yppasswd)
>
> 2: cron runs make in /var/yp every 15 minutes to update the NIS maps.

AFAIK that approach is *almost* the same that yppasswdd takes; when you
change the password with yppasswd, yppasswdd modifies the source you
built the databases on the NIS server from, then runs make. So I don't
think that could give you trouble *EXCEPT* in the time between changing
the password and cron running make.

bye,
	MH