[Samba] Removing partial Samba Install

Dan Hempy dwhempy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 19:51:06 GMT 2002

Hello everyone:

Being a newbie, I'm extending myh education via trial
and error.

When I originally installed Red Hat Linux, I believe
that Samba version 2.0.3-8 was installed. In fact,
when I now query rpm for Samba, the response indicates
the above mentioned version.  A while back, I
downloaded the latest version of Samba (2.2.2) and
dutifully tried to install it. I issued the commands
as per the docfile, and my PC chugged along for a
while and then came the message tha said something to
the effect that I needed the latest version of RH
Linux in order to run this version of Samba. OOPS!
Now the Samba web admin tool thinks that V2.2.2 is
installed but RPM thinks that 2.0.3-8 is installed and
I cannot get Samba to run.  It does not find the
config file in the old loc ation and when I copy it to
the new location, a bunch of the params are not
recognized.

I know that upgrading to the latest version of RHL
will solve this problem but I'm not ready for that at
this moment. So can anyone tell me how to get back to
Samba 2.0.3-8 (or point me to the appropriate
documentation)?  I have files that I need to get at
from Windows 2000.

Thanks in advance.  Feel free to mail me direct.
Dan
dwhempy at yahoo.com