[Samba] password synchronization - smbpasswd for ordinary users

Ruxton, Mike RuxtonM at mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Mon Mar 4 14:50:05 GMT 2002

I have Samba 2.2.3a running on Tru64 Unix v4.0f (?)
I have Win NT4.0 (sp6a) as our local PC OS.
I have created a Samba password file for users.
I've tried several permutations, but currently I have

	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	unix password sync = yes
	username map = /../../../usermap.txt

I also have standard password encryption on the NT side, i.e. not plaintext.
If I sync the PC password, Unix password, and Samba password, (by hand),
then I can browse to the user files on the Samba machine without being
challenged for password.
Sounds great.

But I can't seem to get smbpasswd to allow the ordinary user to change their
Samba password.
Any suggestions?

Michael Ruxton		Hydrographic Systems Analyst
(902) 426-4227		fax: (902) 426-1893

Canadian Hydrographic Service (Atlantic)
1 Challenger Drive
PO Box 1006
Bedford Institute of Oceanography
Dartmouth, NS
B2Y 4A2
Once we assuage our conscience by calling something a "necessary evil," it
begins to look more and more necessary and less and less evil. - Sydney J.
Harris