[Samba] Server Manager - share-info.tdb - Questions

Rob Thomas robhthomas at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 4 11:39:02 GMT 2002

Hi,
I'm currently investigating implementing a Linux-Samba (RedHat 7.2 and Samba
2.2.3a) based domain solution. Whilst determining how best to administer a
Samba server I started using Server Manager for domains which has support
for the changing of share permissions. I initially thought all access to
shares was controlled by the entries in the smb.conf file. However upon
using Server Manager I then tracked down, through trial and error, the
share-info.tdb file which, I assume, is where all share permissions are
stored. I have been unable to find out much information about this file and
therefore any help with the following questions would be welcomed.

1. What is the relationship between the entries in the smb.conf for access
to each share, Valid Users, Invalid Users, Admin Users, Read List, Write
List and the access information stored in share-info.tdb. i.e. which one
takes priority, are they just combined or are they unrelated?
2. Is the share-info.tdb only editable via Server Manager for Domains from a
Windows client or is there a Samba equivalent?
3. As I noticed more tdb files in the  /var/cache/samba directory is there
any documentation on what these contain and which ones should be backed up?

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Rob Thomas