[Samba] path issues with Samba install

Brad gross GROSS at matthewsinternational.com
Mon Mar 4 10:23:04 GMT 2002

Thanks again for your responses.

here is the original post. Then I will tack on what else is going on. Now that I'm staring at the console.

Hi folks,

> Yet one more newbie into the fray.  I'm trying to upgrade a Red Hat 7.2 test box from whatever version came with it to 2.2.3a...

> Here are the steps I have done so far:
> 1. backed for the conf, smbusers, and smb file
> 2. stop the smb service
> 3. ran the command: rpm  e samba
> 4. tarred the source files to /usr/local/src/samba 2.2.3/source
> 5. now I'm trying to run the ./configure and I get an invalid Path.  I did an echo $PATH and was returned this:
> /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/gross/bin
>
> So here is my question, where and what do I enter to make this work. Any and all help is appreciated...

okay so I am running the following configure command

./configure --with-pam --with-smbmount --with-prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc/ --localstatedir=/var/log/samba --libdir=/etc/ --with-lockdir=/var/lock/samba --with-swatdir=/usr/share/swat --with-privatedir=/etc/

now when I run that I get the following back:

checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Any help? And what profile am I editing to adjust the path?!

Brad