[Samba] access denied on printing from win2k?

Peter Benie Peter.Benie at mvhi.com
Mon Mar 4 07:26:03 GMT 2002

Gerald Carter writes ("Re: [Samba] access denied on printing from win2k?"):
> [ printing spool file permissions ]
>
> I've seen a bug in Windows NT 4.0 (don't remember about 2k) where
> the spooler service (I assume) issues an anonymous connection
> to IPC$ even though the local user has valid credentials to
> use.  SPOOLSS calls are then issued on this TID which resulted
> in access checks using "nobody".  I wonder if this is what you are
> seeing.

I'm surprised that NT uses the wrong credentials with SPOOLSS since
this would surely cause problems printing to a Windows NT Server?  I
can't find any relevant articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Since I'm not using the features of SPOOLSS, such as downloading
printer drivers, I could use Lanman instead, but this would be making
the problem go away rather than fixing it.

Peter