[Samba] Redhat 7.2 using Onstream tape backup

Robert Claeson r.claeson at computer.org
Sun Mar 3 15:19:03 GMT 2002

Stephen Gorsch wrote:

> I'm having trouble geting an Onstream DI30 tape drive to work on Redhat 7.2.
> The web site says kernel 2.4.x doesn't need a driver patch, but 2.2.x does.
> It shows how to install the patch,but doesn't say anything about getting it
> work on 2.4.x, except that it works. I see it at bootup, but not when I try
> to use it.

There's a special device driver for OnStream that's included in 2.4.x,
hence you don't need a patch, but you still need to make sure that the
device driver is enabled in your kernel, that the correct device node is
created and that the driver is loaded. I believe that the driver is
compiled as a module in RH 7.2, but you might want to copy the
appropriate config file in the configs directory of your kernel sources
to .config and run make menuconfig to make sure.

/Robert