[Samba] Samba 2.2.3a, print queue status "opening,"highserver load

Jay Anderson Jay at dw.deere.com
Sun Mar 3 09:17:02 GMT 2002

Printing from NT4.0 clients to Samba 2.2.3a using the NT4.0 drivers from
HP works fine for me, my only problem has been with W2K clients using
the W2K drivers from HP.

The drivers from www.hp.com appear to be level 3 drivers, that is where
they install, and they are downloaded by W2K drivers if they are
available when the NT4.0 drivers are also available.  Now, whether these
drivers from HP are truly level 3 and developed properly as such,
I wouldn't have a clue how to tell.

Thanks.

Steven J Mackenzie <sjm at activenavigation.com> wrote:
>From: "Jay D. Anderson" <jay.anderson at dw.deere.com>
>> Jerry FYI: after sending you my config and the log file, I tried one
more
>> suggestion from Dave, to use the printer drivers supplied with W2KSP2

>> instead of the drivers downloaded from HP's website.  This did the
trick,
>> printing works perfectly with the simple driver supplied with the OS
for
>> the HP LaserJet 2100.
>
>This is not an option if you have NT4 clients :(
>
>> I wonder why the drivers from HP break Samba so badly?
>
> My theory is that HP supplied only NT4 drivers, which Windows 2000
will use
> happily if no 2000 drivers are available on the server, but there's
been
> some nasty introduced into the particular RPCs that the NT4 drivers
use?

> (I had problems both with HP and Epson printing with 2.2.3a and NT4)
>
> I'll try and get a log sent in from my NT clients over the weekend,
> Steven

Jay D. Anderson                         John Deere Davenport Works
Jay at Deere.com                           P.O. Box 4198
Phone: 563.388.4268 Fax: 563.388.4159   Davenport, Iowa 52808
http://www.dw.deere.com/~hz01930  http://jayanderson.cjb.net