[Samba] Help - samba keeps dialing out

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Sun Mar 3 07:56:03 GMT 2002

You mentioned the magic word - DNS

When Windows machines use dns to lookup windows names they can try all sorts
of combinations of hostname and domainname (NT domainname included) ideally,
tell the samba server not to act as a DNS proxy and if possible, don't let
your windows clients use dns at all.

All-in-all it's very tricky thing, running windows clients on a
dial-on-demand link - as I have found out to my cost.  I surmised on all the
occations I attempted that if windows machines find themselves on a network
they assume that it is for accessing the internet and I can verify that this
actually happend on an NT 4.5 SBS machine as well.

Martyn Ranyard