[Samba] Problems with getting WinNT/XP/2K to logon

Michael Yacht yacht at sgi.net
Sat Mar 2 12:13:05 GMT 2002

Ok, I've set up Samba under Redhat 7.2 (Samba 2.2.1a).  I have the smbd and nmbd running.  I can log in using one account, but not another.

The name of one account is 'meatnog', the other is 'myacht'.  Both have the same password, both are valid accounts on the machine.  I used the smbpasswd.sh program to turn the /etc/passwd into the /etc/samba/smbpasswd file.

I then used sbpasswd to reset their passwords.  (smbpasswd -U meatnog, etc....)

I can log in with meatnog, but not with myacht.   I get a bad password error.

That's problem #1.

Problem #2:  I can't seem to log into the samba server with my 2K or XP box.   It seems to be a permissions thing.

I've set up the encrypted passwords in the smb.conf, and the server clearly seems to be broadcasting since the server shows up in my network neighborhood.

Any clue?  I can email the smb.conf and anything else needed.

-Mike