[Samba] some question

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat Mar 2 07:20:06 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, eugene wrote:

> Excuse my english.
> I installed samba 2.2.2-11 for Debian. I have got all I wanted to take
> from samba. But I have one more question. Here it is: The main console
> periodically prints messages like
>
> smb_request: result -104, setting invalid
> smb_retry: successful, new pid=2574, generation=7
>
> Why are they printed to the console, but not in the log file?

Because the messages are printed by the kernel and it prints messages of a
certain level to the console (control with the sysctl kernel.printk, see
the kernel documentation sysctl/kernel.txt). You can direct where the
message ends up with syslog if you want it in a logfile.

You can also make smbfs be quiet about this as the first is only a problem
if the second message was a failure.

Edit the kernel source fs/smbfs/Makefile and remove the line:
    EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DSMBFS_PARANOIA
Then recompile and reinstall.

The messages are harmless.

/Urban