[Samba] profile problem

David Mulcahy davmul at alan.eseol.co.uk
Fri Mar 1 14:18:09 GMT 2002

Hello all I hope you can help with the following problem

I am tryint to keep win98 and Win2K profiles seperate in a users home
directory and at the same time be able to use net use /HOME.  I cannot do it.
 Is it possible?  the more i test profiles the more confused i get.

one situation is this

logon home = \\%L\%U\
logon path = \\%L\%U\ntprofile

The above config will store the nt profile using logon home in the
\\%L\%U\profile?  Not sure why it does that?

if you change the above to logon home = \\%L\%U\profiles
then win98 stores profiles in profiles and Win2k stores then in ntprofile.
Which is correct.

the home (H:) share in win2k is correct only until you logon to win98 and
when you change back to win2k the home(H) is profiles on home? and it maps to
profiles not the users home.

I feel the best approach is to seperate config like the following but I cant
get this to work

smb.conf
[global]
	include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%a

smb.conf.Win98				smb.conf.WinNT
logon path = \\%L\%U\%a		logon path = \\%L\%U\%a
logon home = \\%L\%U\			logon home = \\%L\%U\

is this possible? I assume this would keep all the Home shares (eg logon home
= H:) in place

Any Help, Advice, a shoulder to cry on etc welcome.

samba 2.2.3 as pdc

TIA
David Mulcahy