[Samba] How to reduce size of samba binaries

Hactar eben at gate.net
Fri Mar 1 13:52:03 GMT 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Homann, Mathias wrote:

> Dennis Vriezekolk wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to reduce the size of the samba binaries. smbd for instance is
> > about 1.5 meg, which is way to much if you ask me. Is there a way to
> > create smaller binaries, maybe by compiling differently?
>

> you could try if the makefile has a target 'install-strip' instead of
> 'install'. that would install binaries which are stripped of all the
> debug information. I just reduced a smbd on HP-UX from 2,6meg down to 2
> meg by stripping it.

Mine reduced from about 1.5M -> about 1.3M (~13%).  Make sure you're not
including any unnecessary features -- check './configure --help'.  (Most
of those options default to 'off', anyhow.)

Try using an earlier version of Samba, if your situation allows.

--
-eben         eQbWeEnR at gTaYtUeI.nOePt         home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

     Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
     hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken