[Samba] using samba instead of NFS?

J.A.Aylward J.A.Aylward at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Mar 1 04:36:03 GMT 2002

Sorry if this is a dumb question....

Is it possible to use samba instead of NFS to allow users home
directories to be on a server.

(I have a windows network with samba as the domain controller, but
also have some machines which can boot into linux, and I want
interested users to have the same home directory as they would if
they had logged on via windows and samba)

Something I read implied an entry in the etc/passwd file might do the
trick, ie replacing the home directory path for something like:
smb://server/path

Does anyone know if I can do this and if so, where I can find the
documentation.

Many thanks

James Aylward

J.A.Aylward