[Samba] Errors with large files

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Mar 1 03:28:04 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> > For 2.4.16 and 2.4.17:
> >     http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/
> >
> > Apparently something was changed for 2.4.18, and I haven't had time to
> > look at it yet.
> >
> > There is a link to the instructions for getting samba to negotiate LFS,
> > but the patch does not work with 2.2.3 only with 2.2.2.
>
> shouldn't these patches be merged to the official samba tree? will they?
> It's quite obvious that there's a reason for them ...

They cause smbmount to negotiate incorrectly if smbfs does not support
LFS. I would need to add some extra options for that ... but that is just
ugly, especially as they will soon be unnecessary anyway.

A better way would be to connect after smbfs has been mounted (and if it
is a module has been loaded) because then we can know what flags to set
when setting things up with the server.

I also want to replace smbmount with something that is started by smbfs
and that only does the connect-to-server bit. The normal mount command
would always be used.

Making user, noexec and others just work.

The smbfs patch will be going into 2.5 soon and 2.4 sometime later.

/Urban