[Samba] Can I mount with samba on a read-only system?

Dennis Vriezekolk dennisvr at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 01:41:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to mount with smbmount on a read-only system. I have a
writable /tmp and /var dir, so it car wirte logs. The samba daemons are
running fine, but when doing smbmount I get the following error:

can't lock /etc/mtab~ file

This is correct, because mtab is read-only. I tried to create a link
(ln -sf) from /etc/mtab to /tmp/mtab (and /etc/mtab~ to /tmp/mtab~) but
this didn't work. It's able to write in mtab (a new line is added). but
the error keeps ocurring.

I also trie to compile, using the /tmp dir as sysconfdir, but it keeps
looking in /etc...

Any sugestions, tips or tricks?

thanx,

Dennis