[Samba] How to reduce size of samba binaries

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Fri Mar 1 01:04:02 GMT 2002

Dennis Vriezekolk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to reduce the size of the samba binaries. smbd for instance is
> about 1.5 meg, which is way to much if you ask me. Is there a way to
> create smaller binaries, maybe by compiling differently?

you could try if the makefile has a target 'install-strip' instead of
'install'. that would install binaries which are stripped of all the
debug information. I just reduced a smbd on HP-UX from 2,6meg down to 2
meg by stripping it.

btw, 1.5 meg for a CIFS server is too big for you? look at how much disk
NT4 eats... ;)

bye
	MH