[Samba] Killing an open file doesnt work? (i dont know how to..!)

Jan Fenner jfenner at sino.de
Sun Jun 30 23:46:02 GMT 2002

Hi all,

since we updated to to 2.2.2 (or .3??) we have a big problem.

Sometimes we need to 'kill' a locked file.
That means, a user left his w2k terminal, locked it and forgott to
close file.xls or file.doc.
In the past we just did:
smbstatus | grep "file.xls"
kill -9 <PID>

and the file was unlocked, so anybody could access it again.

Since the update (version we use now is: 2.2.5 on RedHat 7.2) we do
the same but infact all connections of the PID (user) are killed but
any file this user has locked remains locked and stays locked, as long
as he doesn't close it.

Is kill -9 the worst way? Is there an other way? We didnt found any
other way but hardly need that 'feature'.

Thanks for any help

Regrades,
- Jan Fenner